"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Day 1: 579 Miles

Okay, technically it's about 156 miles to Chicago, and it will be light out when I travel, but if you don't recognize the quote from The Blues Brothers movie you need to rent it. Seriously.

My trip began rather slowly. I intended to leave no later than 10:00am, but it was closer to 12:30 by the time I watched the city of Brevard disappear in my rear view mirror. I managed to take the back roads through the mountains of Western North Carolina, East Tennessee, Southwestern Virginia and Eastern Kentucky. Four of my favorite areas, but I didn't have much time to enjoy them. By the time I hit Winchester, Kentucky it was about 6:30. After eating I didn't arrive in Lexington, Kentucky until almost 7:30. So I decided to cheat already. To make up for lost time I took I-64 from Lexington to Louisville, then I-65 north to Lebanon, Indiana where I am spending the night.

I did manage to have dinner in a local restaurant rather than a chain. It was actually pretty good. I admit I wasn't too sure about the place from the outside.



I also snapped a quick picture of one of the smaller horse farms in Lexington. There are some magnificent horse farms throughout the region. I wish I had more time to visit them.



So the plan is to get up early tomorrow, drive the 2 1/2 hours to Chicago, then begin my trip in earnest.

Cheers!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Did you order 4 whole fried chickens and some dry white toast for dinner? Love, Sue
Anonymous said…
You know me, I had a bit of trouble getting on this but soon found out a bumb address was sent to me and it just didn't work right for me!

Great going mike, I am pretty excited going on this trip with you... If it is only on the computer! You make it like a real trip for me!!I love the pictures too!
Bunches of love an keep up the good work!!
Bea

Popular posts from this blog

Why Route 66 & Beyond?

Gettin' my kicks on Route 66

Galloping to Gallup