Saturday, June 22, 2013

Tour Day 1 is Done

Well we made it through the first day, which I knew would be the toughest. But I have a few "pre-tour" pictures that I want to describe first. When Sharon got off of work on Thursday we drove for many hours, finally settling into a Fairfield Inn in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. It was close to midnight by the time we got there, so imagine our surprise when we pulled into the parking lot with our '72 Monte Carlo, only to be greeted by this site:

The First Generation Monte Carlo Club is attending a national Monte Carlo show in Carlisle this year, and we happened to book a room in the same hotel that many of them were staying in. They graciously allowed me to park my car (on the far right) in their protected parking area. Maybe sometime in the future I'll join them, but not this week. Sharon and I have other plans!

After getting to Secaucus we went over to Manhattan to spend the day. Mama Mia Sharon can shop! And I can's a picture of the Carnegie Deli that I described  in the blog yesterday.

This morning the group of us planning to start our tour from 42nd and Broadway had to get an early start. We lined our cars up at about 6:15 am and left at about 6:30. Most of us got lost coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel and it was funny seeing these classic cars going every which-way, but eventually most of us made it to the right place facing in the right direction.

Here are a few of us facing west on 42nd Street.Traffic was fairly light, except in the tunnel. We stopped, took pictures, then began our merry trip. The only disappointing thing is that there is no sign identifying the beginning of the historic highway route. It certainly hasn't been due to lack of effort. The Lincoln Highway Association and its membership have been trying for years to get a sign placed here, to no avail.

A much more scenic view awaited us on the New Jersey side of the river; a gorgeous view of the New York skyline.

At the time the Lincoln Highway existed drivers had to take a car ferry across the river to Weehawken, NJ. Today there are only people ferries making this run, and cars make the trip via the Lincoln Tunnel.

We took our pictures and began the somewhat tortuous drive through northern New Jersey. Very congested and very poorly timed traffic lights made for a long drive.The southern section of the New Jersey route was beautiful.Cities like Princeton are just gorgeous.

We entered Pennsylvania and made our way through Philadelphia, stopping to see an old LH bridge that crossed Poquessing Creek once upon a time. We then made a detour to get a famous Geno's Philly Cheese Steak. Definitely worth the trip. just order one "wiz, wit". They'll know what you mean, even if you don't. And you'll be glad you ordered it this way.

As we were driving to our hotel we came across this auto repair facility. I don't know the story behind it but it spoke to me so I shot it.

When we finally arrived at our hotel in Malvern, PA we were exhausted and looking forward to a nap before dinner. Then we found out it wasn't our hotel anymore. Either the hotel overbooked and moved us or the LH association coordinator did so, and no one bothered to mention it to us. So we were given directions to our actual hotel; we repacked the car and hit the road again, only to find our route completely blocked due to an accident or gas leak or something.So we had to figure out a way to get there ourselves. By the time we did we were too late for the group dinner so we ate a quiet meal by ourselves.

So the first day started with some disappointments, but also some great discoveries and explorations. Tomorrow will be better yet.



Mona Taplin said...

Beautiful pictures! You made me tired just reading about this part of your journey,- but I loved it just the same. I hope you enjoy every single second of it. Today was my 84th birthday! I am so lucky to still be able to enjoy reading about your adventures. Tons of love, Aunt Mona

Mike said...

Happy Birthday Aunt Mona!

AbbeAllen said...

Mike the auto repair shop that inspired you might have something to do with your Dad's friend Bill, who had a similar looking place in Scipioville and your Grandfather Curtis, who I don't remember at all, also had such a place in Auburn.

Mike said...

Hi Anne,

The Scipioville Garage was originally owned by both Bill and my dad. I have several pictures of my grandfather's station too. And you're probably right that those influences probably impact my love for old gas stations.